History of the Funeral Home
Our firm is celebrating over 90 years of dedicated service to the community and to the Nation. It all started when Charles and Percy Hulse formed their partnership of Hulse Brothers in 1925. In 1933, Charlie Hulse invited Keith Playfair to join him as a partner. The two quite opposite personalities complimented one another and within a few years the firm's name changed from Hulse Brothers to Hulse & Playfair. In 1938-39, the new partnership made a bold move by building Ottawa's first funeral chapel. The firm grew rapidly to become Ottawa's largest family owned and operated funeral business. Today the family business is majority owned and operated by Sharon McGarry and Patrick McGarry.
We believe that our greatest strength and most valuable asset is our team of dedicated licensed funeral directors and support staff. Many of our staff are actively involved in local communities and professional associations. We are here to offer our services to alleviate the stress of our client families at a very difficult time of life.