Douglas Arnold Eldon was born to Ernest and Gwen Charter on November 30th, 1927. He was one of three children, along with his sister Merle and his younger brother Harold.
Doug's adventures started in his early years, when he ran away from home... twice. The first time he made it as far as Brockville. The second time he had higher aspirations. He and a sea cadet buddy decided they wanted to see the world.... Australia to be precise. The plan was to make their way to Vancouver and set sea from there. They made it as far as Kingston before being picked up by the provincial police and shipped back home -the world would have to wait.
Doug always had a passion for cars. By the age of 15, when most young boys are satisfied with model cars, Doug had managed to save 50 dollars by doing odd jobs. He had his eye on a 1928 Plymouth. He bought the car, but being too young to drive it, he had to call his Father. His Dad, however, did not share his excitement.... the car would have to wait.
Doug graduated from Nepean High School and Ottawa Tech, and at the age of 20 was chosen from several hundred candidates for entry to the Ford Automotive Trade School in Windsor. His home for the next few years was the YMCA and various boardinghouses while he completed his courses, graduating as a Journeyman and Tool Maker. His next stop was Montreal where he worked at GE during the week. He returned to Ottawa most weekends, and that is when he spotted Joyce Parks, a pretty little nursing student from the Ottawa Civic Hospital. They fell hopelessly in love. They were married in 1953 in a double ceremony with Russ and Joyce's sister Corrine at the North Gower United Church, the same church where years later his son Ian and Kim would be wed.
Doug and his new bride were living on Cadillac street in Montreal when Debby, the first of 4 children, was born at Montreal General Hospital. She was followed by Cheryl, Ian and Brian.
In 1956 , with a growing family and wanting to have the comfort of their own home and yard, they moved to 48 13th Ave in Roxboro, their home for the next 33 yrs.
Throughout the years Doug accomplished many things. He and Joyce cleared the land on Lac Quenueilles where our cottage was built. Much of his time there was involved in building, maintaining and even moving the outhouse, and occasionally rescuing Cheryl from trees she had climbed without a plan to get back down.
He became an active member and eventual President of the Vintage Automobile Club.
In 1966 he started a 4yr night program at McGill University and received his Certificate of Industrial Management, later becoming President of the Quebec Association for CIM. In his 2nd year he studied during the night at Brian's bedside in the Montreal General Hospital, keeping a close eye on his baby boy while he recovered from surgery.
Throughout the years Doug continued to work hard and wore many hats. He threw himself into whatever he decided to do and received many accolades as a result.
After 35 yrs of hard work and dedication Doug retired from Aviation Electric after having made his way to the top of the ladder. He had given nothing but his best, and made many friends along the way.
Mom and Dad, now back in the Ottawa Valley, continued to romance each other at every chance, and when they were not golfing, entertaining, traveling to Texas or enjoying friends and family they were seen walking hand and hand through life.
Doug was a gentleman, a man of integrity and generosity. He was wise and loved to learn. He was a loyal and true friend and treated everyone as equals without judgement. He believed in well polished shoes and always returning a borrowed item in better condition than he received them.
Doug loved books, anything with an engine and Jo's cooking, but most of all he loved his family, and Dad we loved you back.
Doug will be lovingly remembered by his wife Joyce Charter (nee Parks),daughter Debby (Bob), Cheryl (Chris), son Ian (Kim), Brian (Linda). Grandchildren Michael, Sarah, Marc, Ryan, Mitch, Kyle, Matt and his brother Harold.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Kemptville District Hospital Auxiliary.